01 May 2010

Missing "The Korean Dream"

Yes, I am talking about the Korean Dream. About my Korean Dream. About the artwork that I feel like I lost. I’m counting the days until I’m going to get her back.

 

I started working on the artwork, soon after I arrived to Seoul in late 2008 and I finished it in early 2010 in Cluj. It is the first work of the new AsiaSaek series, and it is the only artwork that I treat like it would be a living person.

 

I got so attached to her… maybe too attached. The woman in the artwork is a simple product of my imagination. She isn’t representing anybody that I would know in real life. However, she gained step by step a name, personality, an own style that only me and some of my closest friends know.

 

In Seoul, for almost one year this life size artwork was hanging on the walls of my room. After coming back to Transylvania, a placed once again the artwork in my room, choosing its place carefully, like if I would follow some kind of ritual or feng-shui rules. So, for one and a half years, I was falling asleep seeing her, and waking up in the morning looking at her standing in front of me. Day by day, I felt like she is becoming more and more important for me.

 

I noticed that other people sometimes regarded her as a living thing, probably because of her real life size. There was a Romanian guy who touched her face when he saw her for the first time, and I also knew a Korean guy who tried to touch her breast, making me really angry [almost jealous]. In time, I decided to not talk about her just as “the drawing” or “the woman in the artwork” because it sounded too abstract. I decided to call her Hana [ķ•œģ•„], a name with a similar pronunciation with number 1 in Korean. This because she was the first artwork of AsiaSaek series. But the spelling of her name in Korean is different from that of number one, because I’ve chosen syllable “Han” to be the same as that in Han-guk [meaning Korea].

 

Since she is in the Satu Mare Museum of Art, my place seems so empty. Whenever I look at the wall, there is just a poster replacing the original artwork. A poster can never replace her… I just hope Hana will get back well, untouched and in perfect shape like before.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

mai lasat fara cuvinte, ca de obicei! ce frumos ai scris :)
te aplaud!

raku

Anonymous said...

Sau ca in Han-guo,insemnand tot Korea, nu? :)
Succes. Anca

andrada said...

foarte frumos, de altfel cum ma si asteptam din partea ta.stiu ca nu duci lipsa de sensibilitate si imaginatie dar de data aceasta parca ceva ai schimbat...tu te-ai schimbat in sensul ca privesti altfel unele fenomene si te admir pt curajul si perseverenta cu care le-ai trecut pe toate, ti-ai asumat riscuri mari si totusi stii cum sa te folosesti de experienta acumulata doar in bine.felicitari si tot asa in continuare. tu cu alter-egoul tau de pe perete, fiinta ta complementara. :)