28 November 2010

29.5 km of color through Seoul

Seoul City Hall Plaza

Seoul is the city where you can walk infinitely, touring historical and cultural sites, shopping, enjoying the numerous green spaces or oppositely going deep into the urban jungle.

Sometimes, when I have spare time and the weather allows it, I walk tens of kilometers, without a purpose, or a well defined destination.

I walk until I feel like enjoying it, always planning until the next corner, always discovering new neighborhoods, meeting new people, and learning about the city's culture.

The city's metropolitan size is huge, with a population of over 20 million. While walking sometimes I remember statistics, and I know that no mater how much time I would spend walking, I would never be able to see everything in Seoul.

I noticed that except taxi drivers, even the native Seoulites don't know the city too well, especially its urban history.

On a sunny October Saturday, I walked over 29 km through the capital city, walking from the place where I live now, to the place where I lived last year. 

Although I didn't picked the shortest path, I've crossed only a very small part of the metropolis.

I started from Samgakji toward Seoul Station, then Seoul City Hall Plaza up to Myeongdong shopping district. After a short rest in Dongguk University's campus, I moved south to Oksu neighborhood and crossed the Han River toward Apgujeong area. After crossing the fancy Gangnam district, I followed the Teheran Road east until the Olympic Stadium from Jamsil, and finally went until Yangjae Station by following the Yangjae River's stream.

I am posting a few photos out of the few hundreds a took during my walk.

More than just resuming it to a few images, I am planing to use my experiences gained during my walks for future projects as well.

Inside Dongguk University Campus

Sunset over the Han River

Highways next to the Han River and Oksu neighborhood

Between Samsung Station and Jamsil Olympic Complex

Near Jamsil

Myeongdong

Between Euljiro and Myeongdong
Dogok neighborhood next to the Yangjae River

Around Euljiro
Oksu neighborhood

No comments: